Code for San Francisco is a collection of creative volunteers working to improve the lives of San Franciscans. We continue to advocate for open public data, we continue to build useful civic apps like Adopt-a-Drain and We Vote, and we continue to work on civic infrastructure like Lighten.
But we want to do more and to do it better. To that end, we are building our leadership team.
Apply to manage our events - one of our core offerings to the civic tech community. Your efforts will help Code for San Francisco grow into a more effective, impactful, and inclusive organization. We are looking for the lead to coordinate and run our events, as well as folks to support those leads or specialize in specific roles.
Are you a logistical mastermind? Can you organize a calendar of events better than the Mayor’s Scheduler? Can you get information from 7 different teams with time to spare before your deadline? Do you want to plan events attended which benefit the community and city of San Francisco? As the Events Lead or part of a team of Lead Supporters, you will plan our two major events and lead the coordination of our weekly Hack Nights.
- Program or event management background
- Experience revising a process or workflow
- Seriously amazing communication skills
- Attend semimonthly virtual core team meetings
- Attend 3x Hack Nights per month
- Available for 5-10 hours of communication per month outside of Hack Nights
Lead the planning and coordination of our two key annual events CodeAcross (March) and National Day of Civic Hacking (June)
- Plan event programming which includes keynote speakers, workshops, and project hacking
- Secure venue and catering for both events, with support from the rest of the Core Team
- Work closely with the Finance Lead to secure event sponsors and stay within budget
- Work closely with the Partnerships lead to outreach community partners and speakers
Manage the weekly Civic Hack Night MeetUp’s
- Create a safe, inclusive, and participatory environment for members and partners
- Balance the frequency of Hack Night events with sufficient Hack Night hacking
- Help the Onboarding and Project Launch teams coordinate efforts to increase member retention
- Ensure Hack Night logistics are finalized well in advance of Hack Night, with support from the rest of the Core Team
Hack Night Logistics
- Build out and coordinate the Hack Night Team
- Manage & delegate hack night tasks each week
- Preparing the intro slide deck
- Securing Guest Speakers
- New member orientation facilitation
- Greet / Check-in members
- Responsible for food-ordering, making sure there’s enough, food planning, coordinating with the Finance Team to manage the food budget. Opportunity to engage with local small businesses!
- Organize hack night special events, Demo Nights, and Socials
Coordinate with key folks internally
- Onboarding team
- Make sure someone is leading onboarding each night during hack night
- Help coordinate sign-in/check-in process
- Help connect newbies to projects
- Project team- help newbies plug into existing projects and highlight any projects during hack night
- Serve as a liaison between the onboarding team and the project team so that new people can plug into existing projects
- Make sure the projects are being highlighted during hack night so that the community can understand how they can get involved and next steps.
- Showcase project successes and challenges during hack night!
- Manage guest speaker requests that come from external partners and brigade community
- Create a process flow to manage pitches and speakers at hack night
- Communicate hack night milestones for marketing, outreach, funding, and recruiting efforts